Monday 17 December 2007

Changing Gears for December - SnGs

I haven't posted in a little while. It's been a busy week again so not much poker going on. I think I burned myself out a little bit in the cash games last month and I haven't really felt motivated to play them for the past 2 weeks, considering my breakeven stretch and all.

I thought I'd recharge a bit by switching it up. I'm currently playing a lot more SnGs than I normally do and the odd MTT with mixed results. I really like the way my opponents play the SnGs on Full Tilt and I've pulled in a ROI of 75% in the 15 or so SnGs that I've played there so far. 1st place: 5x 2nd place: 4x 3rd place: 2x ITM: 62%

Example of why I like playing here, this is from the second level of a 1 table SnG:

Hero is dealt KK

UTG limps, UTG+1 limps, MP2 limps, Hero raises to 6BB, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls

Flop: 3s 4d 5d <--- not a particularly nice flop for me, but wait...

UTG open shoves a 6x pot sized bet all-in, UTG+1 folds, Hero thinks a set/76/A2 would slowplay or value bet smaller so this is obviously 66-AA and Hero thinks he's way ahead most of the time so Hero calls

UTG shows 66, not a particularly bad play on his part with the OESD but a smaller bet or a check raise scares me a lot more than this.

Turn: blank
River: blank

Stars is just the opposite and seems to be so nitty in the SnGs and I'm running a -20% ROI there so I think I'll stick to Full Tilt for a while and see what kind of stakes I can take down. I've played a bunch of 45 man tourneys as well on Stars, but unfortunately I'm finishing around 10th most of the time. I think my tourney game is starting to improve though, so I think I'll continue to play these.

I've been keeping track of my preflop all-in hands in tourneys to see what kind of equity I have when we're getting closer to the endgame. One thing I noticed is that I have slightly more equity with the hands that I am calling an all-in with than the hands that I am open shoving. This becomes quite clear when I look at my and my opponent's range for each situation and it pretty much demonstrates the gap concept.

I'm also spending more time on studying my game and reading some books to help me improve both cash and SnG games and I hope to be back at the ring games around Christmas. And also, I just became an uncle last week, which is awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment