Sunday 27 September 2009

New Look

I thought I'd try out a new look for my blog. Unfortunately I forgot to save the old template first, so my blogroll got deleted in the process. I can't remember everyone who was on it, so if I'm missing you just leave a comment! Also leave a comment of your opinion on the new look.

Other than that 6max has been going exceptionally well. I thought I would have significantly less volume but that's not the case after running some numbers on hands/hour. I try to put in a few sessions with 6 tables to work on stuff a few times a week and the rest of the time I'm able to easily keep up with 12 tables and if my brain is working even as many as 18 - leading to actually more volume than FR.

It's pretty much turning out to be my best month ever and I haven't really noticed any significant variance. Apparently 6max variance is supposed to be much much higher than in FR because the game is more aggressive, but I think the whole thing is a bit overrated for micro games. I think this is due to the fact that variance is reduced by having a higher winrate, and my 6max winrates are 2-3 times higher than what my FR equivalents are. I can see variance being a bigger issue at small and midstakes where winrates are going to converge a little closer to the FR winrates.

So far it's around 75% 6max, 25% FR and will probably be close to 100% 6max next month. I'm having a bit of an issue with my mouse so if anyone has advice I'd love to hear it. I have a wireless bluetooth based Logitech Revolution MX which has, by far, the best configuration of any mouse I've ever seen for poker and gaming and general browsing. The problem is that it's starting to freeze for half a second every once in a while which is kind of bad when you're trying to multitable.

Edit: A fun 50NL 6max hand I played yesterday. Even though it's spew I like to call it a soul read. Action plan: c/f turn. Actual action and read: "Hey wait, this guy is FOS. Arrr-in for value?!?" =)

Good times - Squeeze gone wrong, then worse... then wait... squeeze gone right!

BTN: $90.95
SB: $13.95
Hero (BB): $59.85
UTG: $24.45
MP: $71.55
CO: $10.80

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is BB with K of hearts 9 of clubs
3 folds, BTN raises to $1.75, 1 fold, Hero raises to $6, BTN calls $4.25

Flop: ($12.25) 2 of spades A of spades 8 of diamonds (2 players)
Hero bets $7, BTN calls $7

Turn: ($26.25) K of clubs (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $16, Hero raises to $46.85 all in, BTN calls $30.85

River: ($119.95) A of clubs (2 players - 1 is all in)

Final Pot: $119.95
BTN shows Q of spades J of spades (a pair of Aces)
Hero shows K of hearts 9 of clubs (two pair, Aces and Kings)
Hero wins $116.95
(Rake: $3.00)

14 comments:

  1. really like the new look

    how many hands/month are you getting at 6max btw?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for putting me on your roll!

    Last time I tried 6max I couldn't keep up with the tables. Too much flashing and beeping. FR4Life!

    I use a wired mouse exactly because of that kinda thing. I have a wireless keyboard (handy to move out from under cat paws at a moment's notice) but that precise response time you need with a mouse for gaming, including poker, just doesn't fly by wireless, imo.

    However, if you are using Window's own bluetooth program I think it's flaky like all things MicroSoft. I shelled out ~$20 for BlueSoleil's software and it just worked nicely and intuitively for my headphones and phone at least. They might have a free trial period if you want to see if it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments guys!

    @Conan: I actually found your blog the other day and saw a link to mine on it and tried PMing you (didn't work) so I decided to just go ahead and add it =)

    I have tried MS bluetooth in the past and agree it's terrible. Luckily BlueSoleil shipped with the mouse and it's really decent. Figured out today that it's really rare for it to stop responding if it's fully charged, so I just throw it back on the charger now whenever I'm done. Lasts for a good 2 hours before getting glitchy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh and Happy, I'm getting in about 80 hands/hour/table. 25nl and 50nl I manage to keep up comfortably with 18 tables so 1440 hands/hour. Generally do 6, sometimes 12 tables of 100nl since preflop action is incredibly dynamic there and I need to see the action.

    I generally put in 50 hours a month. Between studying playing 6 tables and grinding playing 18, I end up at around 60k hands a month.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey man, add me on blogroll, http://50to5k.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, you can't PM me on 2+2 since I got banned (don't mention the Jews, imo), but you can always holler at me @yahoo.com. I was going to mention plugging the mouse in once in a while, but I figured you'd come to that one on your own volition. ;-)

    Oh and unless you have problems with spammers, turn off the captcha verification, pulease.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently retreated to 8 tables of 6max from 10-12 because I thought "Maybe nobody should be playing that many tables at once."

    Whoops.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 18 tables is really good at 6max, I generally find 1 table 6max = 2 tables FR because of higher VPIP

    btw, my blog is at http://happypixel.blogspot.com/ if you wanna add to blogroll

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh lol, how did I forget to add yours back in Happy? I thought you were the first one I put in...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Liking the new look, is it one you made yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  11. No I actually googled blog templates and found it. Was wanting to change it up for quite a while but I'm not a very useful template modifier unless I've written my own code. Finally figured out how to upload and implement it properly.

    Remember the old myspace days with it's HTML gongshow? Yeah, didn't even bother =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Micro Stakes Grinder, This is Elvaslion from Portugal. I have been reading your blog for the past weeks and finally reached this last post.
    Keep up the good work, this is a great blog for those like me that are starting now.
    Now as a little challenge and something I'm tired of looking in youtube and I can't seem ti find:
    Could you do a micro multitable video and beat the level? I would love to se you play 18 tables NL2 and learn with it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Elvaslion. I am actually planning on making a video shortly - haven't really decided what level or if it's going to be FR or 6max.

    Unfortunately my schedule hasn't really worked out great for it lately since working night shift really messes with your head. You guys would get worse if I tried to explain what I'm doing at the tables this week - although oddly enough I do play a lot better... :/

    Will get it out soon though!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great to know that.
    As a new player (loosing one atm) I keep reading and reading and reading more then playing to try and find the best way to be a winner but the problem is that most advises are oriented to medium/high stakes so I realy would like to see how someone that started out low like you playes a lot of tables in the real low micro stakes.

    Best of luck on your progression.

    ReplyDelete